Authorities are investigating how a fire started at the Spinnaker condos Monday morning. (Photos courtesy of SIC Chatter Facebook forum)


Investigators have not yet determined the cause of a fire that broke out at the Spinnaker Condominium complex early Monday morning.

There were no injuries and officials attributed the fast work of firefighters for keeping the blaze to the exterior of the buildings.

It was approximately 5 a.m. Monday morning when three small benches and some flower pots caught on fire in the breezeway between the North and South Towers of the Spinnaker complex at 3500-3700 Boardwalk.

The fire was contained to the outside of the buildings, said Police Chief Anthony Garreffi, who oversees public safety.

A man was taking his dog for an early morning walk along the Promenade when he saw and reported the blaze, Garreffi said.

“It was a very fast-moving fire,” Garreffi said. “It is still under investigation to see how it initiated.”

He noted that there was some damage to one window at the private social club in the complex called the Commodore Club, as well as some paint damage to the exterior.

Garreffi commended the firefighters for their quick response to put out the fire so it didn’t make it into the condo units.

There were about 12 firefighters on scene. He said four of them were working the overnight duty at the firehouse.

The intense heat melts some of the paint.

The overnight program, in which firefighters receive $160 a night to stay in the firehouse, was instituted by the city in 2021 to ensure there is fire coverage if an emergency occurs at night. Officials wanted to improve the fire call response times.

“They had a duty crew that night, along with volunteers. There were about 12 firefighters on the scene,” Garreffi said of the large response at the Spinnaker fire. “They contained it within a very short time. The volunteers are just phenomenal, but this shows the importance of also having a (night) duty crew.”

Residents, some who saw the fire and others who heard about it, took to social media Monday and Tuesday.

Poster Liz Reynolds said, “I heard there was a fire there early this morning, between 5 and 6 a.m. Don’t know what happened, but heard it is being investigated.”

Stephanie M. Simon replied, “I did! I was here. It’s a lot worse than I thought.”

Tony Ieradi said, “This definitely needs investigating.”