Police released this image of the suspect.

By Maddy Vitale

A Springfield Township, Pa., man is under arrest for aggravated assault in connection with a bar brawl in Sea Isle City that left another man unconscious.

Daniel B. Smyth, 24, was charged with two counts of aggravated assault, Cape May County Prosecutor Jeffrey H. Sutherland and Sea Isle Police Chief Thomas McQuillen said in a joint press release Friday.

Authorities said at about 7:10 p.m. on Feb. 16 Smyth assaulted another man inside the LaCosta Lounge nightclub. The victim is not being identified at this time, nor are authorities releasing specifics about the assault or if the two men knew each other.

The fight occurred on the night of Sea Isle’s Polar Bear Plunge, an annual event that draws tens of thousands of visitors to town for a chilly dip in the ocean and a weekend of partying.

Law enforcement agencies received numerous tips and information in response to the initial press release about the assault, which also provided two still photos of the suspect, according to the release.

Both McQuillen and Sutherland applauded the public’s assistance in identifying the suspect.

McQuillen said this is a case that depicts the true power of social media.

“This should be a cautionary tale to people. Basically, everywhere you go, you are on camera,” McQuillen said in an interview.

He noted Smyth was identified within hours of people seeing the images on social media and contacting law enforcement.

“This is a textbook example of what the public and police can do when they work together,” McQuillen said.

The assault occurred Feb. 16 at the LaCosta Lounge nightclub.

McQuillen also credited the good police work by Sea Isle Detective Robert Scarano and Sea Isle Detective Sgt. William Bradshaw for helping to lead to Smyth’s arrest.

The Prosecutor’s Office and other law enforcement agencies also assisted in the investigation, according to the release.

At about 9:15 a.m. on Friday, Smyth turned himself in to the Sea Isle City Police Department. He was charged with two counts of aggravated assault, including attempting to cause serious bodily injury and attempting to cause significant bodily injury.

Smyth was processed and released with summonses pending court proceedings.